Frame Gallery Wall

DSC_0510

I’ve mentioned a few times that we hung a frame gallery around our tv and entertainment stand. I collected both black and white frames, laid out the arrangement on my floor, traced the frames onto wrapping paper, cut them out and then taped them to the wall how I wanted them. And after some measuring and adjusting, we finally got it the way we wanted it.

I’m really happy with it, although I will say that I’m not 100% in love with the large black rectangle directly above the large black rectangle. I didn’t really think that one through before hanging everything. And it actually didn’t even occur to me until after a few days of living with and staring at the arrangement.

We have very high ceilings in our living room and we needed something to take the focus off of the tv and draw the eye up. We also needed something that would fill in that massive wall a bit. It always felt way too bare before. Here was our process. Please excuse the crappy photos and my hubby’s hat hair.

IMG_1120 IMG_1126 IMG_1131

I think it definitely serves it purpose of distracting focus from the tv and filling blank wall space, plus I love having some of our favorite photos, prints and kids artwork where I can see them all the time. Oh, and I want to mention that it is really difficult to photograph. We live in a split-level house and I can’t get back far enough to take a decent photo of the entire wall because of the steps, but I assure you that it is all centered even though the photos look otherwise.

It’s finished for now, but I would say that overall it’s a work in progress. We are in the market for a new tv stand (I’ve been stalking Craigslist), so that will affect it eventually, but I would also like to add  some smaller frames at some point and maybe change out the big frame in the center to eliminate the whole big black rectangle situation.

DSC_0508 DSC_0514 DSC_0515 DSC_0516 DSC_0518 DSC_0519 DSC_0520 DSC_0524 DSC_0525 DSC_0529

So there you have it. Our little frame gallery wall. Lots of fun!

Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!

**Frames are from IKEA, Michael’s and Gordmans.**

Advertisements

Kitchen Counter Makeover

Last week I mentioned how I had a ton of projects to tackle and I was planning on taking some time this past weekend to get some of them done? Well, I crossed a big one off of our to-do list. I painted our kitchen counters!

I took some better photos with my big camera of the before, but finished too late to take any good after photos, so I thought I would just share with you a little Before & After comparison taken with my iPhone.

Before

I took this photo without the kitchen light on, so in the next shot the cabinets look a lot more yellow than they do here.

The counters were original from the 1960’s. This photo doesn’t do them justice as far as how ugly they were and how bad of shape they were in. Trust me. UGLY.

2013-07-28 14.08.32

After

It’s definitely a vast improvement, but the gray of the cabinets doesn’t look as fantastic with the gray of the counters like I hoped. We ended up picking the darkest gray that they had, but it didn’t turn out as dark as I hoped either.  It was really hard to match colors because we couldn’t get a sample of the counter paint before hand. However, anything was an improvement over what we had.

2013-07-28 17.14.42

We used Rustoleum countertop paint and it wasn’t the greatest to work with. For starters, it smells really, really bad. I mean I had to wear a mask and it was still overwhelming. We had every door and window open. Thank goodness it was such a beautiful day. Oh, and don’t worry, the kids were playing outside or down in the basement all day. No way, I would let them inhale those fumes!

I cleaned the counters just like they suggest and used a foam rollers as recommended, but you can still see rollers lines and there are a significant amount of tiny air bubbles. You can’t see either unless the sun is shining directly on the counters, so that’s good, but I wish the application was a little better.

It only took a couple of hours to apply and then Rustoleum suggests waiting 72 hours before using the counters. So that means our kitchen table is a huge mess for the next couple days. And I’m a neat freak so it’s killing me.

The cost for the paint was only $20, so even if we decide we want something else down the road, it’s not a big loss, and I think it was totally worth trying.

So, that’s just one project checked off my giant, never-ending to-do list. Now I’m off to edit photos from a weekend session.

See you tomorrow!